Tuesday 20 January 2015

Seeing Double

Two red lacy scarves in filet crochet laid out horizontally with respective ring-shaped band fastenings next to them. Long sides have a scallopped edge; short sides have 15 cm straight fringe. The first scarf is at the bottom with 15 rows of spiderweb motifs, 2 per row.  The second scarf is at the top with 14 rows of spiderweb motifs, again the width is 2 motifs per row. The shorter scarf at the top has had its fringe trimmed but the longer one at the bottom  is yet to be trimmed.
Top: second and latest scarf (14 pattern repeats long)
Bottom: first scarf (15 pattern repeats long)


It's not your eyes!
I made a second filet crochet scarf just like the first (well, almost!)

These scarves differ in length. After making two scarves from one skein of 5 ply yarn, with barely anything left over, I am very pleased with the results. Now that I am not in such a (Christmas rush) hurry to make another scarf, there is time to explain the finer details.


The second scarf was intended to be 12 pattern repeats long just like the original in the Crochet One-Skein Wonders book which I reviewed in my post "Library Haul" (publication details listed below in the References).

Central section of second scarf laid out horizontally and in close up: 6 x 2 spiderweb filet crochet motifs with scalloped turns at the end of each row to create a ridged edging on the top and bottom edges.
Close-up of central section of second, shorter scarf.


When I got to 12 rows of pattern repeats, there was still plenty of yarn on the skein.  
I decided to put aside enough yarn for the fringe and then see how much was left.

"How much would be needed for the fringe?" I wondered. 
I did not fasten off my working yarn, but took yarn from the other end of the the skein, winding it around a cardboard template until I had enough strands for the fringe and a few extra for luck.

The fringe looks a bit scruffy in the photo at the top of the page. That's because it had not been trimmed.  In the busy December Christmas season, I grabbed the opportunity to photograph the scarves just as they were while I had sufficient light and energy. (I can never predict how long my energy will last or when my next opportunity will be!)

The 'after' photo below shows how a good trim can improve the finished look of your fringed items.

Diagonal view of Diamond Strike Scarf - short end of scarf showing 15 cm fringe after being trimmed. One and a half pattern rows of filet spiderweb pattern also visible.
I used a quilting rule and rotary cutter on a self-healing mat 
to measure and trim the fringe. 


After setting aside the yarn for the fringe, I weighed the remaining skein to estimate whether I would have enough for another pattern repeat. Yes, there was enough! 

I continued to crochet pattern repeats, weighing the remaining yarn at the end of every row–remembering that the last pattern repeat of the scarf would need a little extra for the finishing row–until the yarn was almost used up.

What about the band? I had almost forgotten! This scarf was shorter and definitely needed the band. Without fastening off the working yarn (in case I needed to rip out for more), I crocheted the band from the other end of the skein. Thank goodness there was still enough yarn left over. 


Close up of crocheted band which is used to fasten the ends of the scarf when worn. The band is the subject of the photograph and in focus. In the foreground is the scarf which is out of focus but the filet pattern in the body of the scarf and the scallop edging can still be seen.
A closer look at the band fastening.  The 'bumps' in the band's stitch pattern echo the 'bumpy' border of the scarf in the foreground.

What about the edging? This scarf is a fantastic stashbuster because the edging is created along with each row by creating shell scallops at each end as part of the turn to a new row.  There is no need to set aside extra yarn for the border which leaves fewer ends to weave in when you're done!

Kristen Stoltzfus' "Diamond-Strike Banded Scarf" is a clever little patternThe ridges created by the scalloped edging prevent the band from slipping off during wear.


Red filet crocheted Diamond Strike Scarf folded as if to be worn around the neck; two ends are fastened by round band (a crocheted ring) to illustrate the effect of the fringed ends overlapping when worn.
When worn, the band fastening causes the fringed ends and lacy patterns to overlap. The band sits nicely in the valleys between the scalloped row ends.

This scarf was a Christmas present for my niece who often wears red accents and also likes fashionable scarves. Even though it is not really scarf-wearing weather at Christmas time (too warm in South Australia), it is a lovely light scarf; a perfect trans-seasonal piece; and the cheerful red is very 'Christmassy'! 


I am pleased to report that the scarf was very well received and 
I want one for myself now!

The second Diamond Strike Scarf (B) in full view, displayed horizontally with the separate band fastening above it.  This scarf has 15cm straight fringe on each short end. The body pattern consists of 14 rows of filet crochet spiderweb motifs (2 per row) and the long sides have ridged edges created by a scallop border pattern. These ridges hold the band in place when wearing the scarf so that it doesn't slip off.

Scarf Details


Pattern: "Diamond-Strike Banded Scarf" by Kristen Stolzfus
Yarn: Carnival 5-ply 100% acrylic 100 grams / 417 metres
Colour: 60 bright red
Lot: 771704
Hook: red anodised aluminium 3.5 mm
Project used: approximately 47 grams / 196 metres
Finished dimensions:Without fringe: 18.5 cm x 89 cm (7.5" x  36")
Including fringe: 18.5 cm x 114 cm (7.5" x 56")
My Ravelry project page:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Jodiebodie/diamond-strike-banded-scarf-2


References

Diamond-Strike Banded Scarf in progress with yarn (Carnival 5 ply acrylic) and book "Crochet One-Skein Wonders" opened up to the "Diamond-Strike Banded Scarf" pattern page which shows a photograph of the finished scarf in purple.

Durant, Judith & Eckman, Edie (editors), Crochet One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects from Crocheters Around the World, 1st printing, ISBN 978-1-61212-042-3, www.storey.com, Storey Publishing LLC, 210 MASS MoCA Way, North Adams, MA 01247, USA, 2013

Stoltzfus, Kristen, "Diamond-Strike Banded Scarf" [crochet pattern]:


Lupey Loops, "Red Lacy Scarf Finished!", 15 January 2015:www.lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/red-lacy-scarf-finished.html

Lupey Loops, "Library Haul", 9 December 2014: http://lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/library-haul.html

8 comments:

  1. The scarves are really beautiful. I'm sure your niece loves hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gillian,
      I am sure both recipients like their scarves. I saw one of them this morning at the shops and although she wasn't wearing her scarf (it is warm summer weather now) she greeted me with the broadest smile I had ever seen. A little scarf seems to have turned a friendly business acquaintance into a warm friendship. I love it! xxx

      Delete
  2. Nice scarfs!!! great work!!!
    would you like to follow each other? let me know...I always follow back.
    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcela! You are welcome.:-)

      Delete
  3. The pattern on your scarf is gorgeous! Also just wanted to say I love your blog name. There was an old man at our chapel that would always ask me my Lupey was!! It because quite a joke in our family especially with all the memory problems I get!! What a blessing if is to be creative if you have Lupus. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. Not only does the pattern look gorgeous, but it is very easy to work too! Once you have completed one repeat, you can just refer to the previous rows to remember which stitches to do next.
      I have suffered from cognitive symptoms and often wonder whether fatigue or lupus itself are to blame and to what extent. I know that both have been at play in the past. Medication has certainly improved the situation, but fatigue will always exacerbate it. Part of my reason for maintaining a blog is to keep the language skills from getting lost in the lupey brain fog.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! :-) Would love to see them worn!!

    Take care
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! When the season changes, I am bound to catch them being worn and to grab a good photo for you. :-) I hope you are keeping warm at the moment with some luscious scarves.

      Delete